Juvenile cases

There are two types of juvenile cases in the Iowa court system. CINA (Child in Need of Assistance) cases are opened when the State believes that a child requires state help, usually in the form of supervision from the Iowa Department of Human Services. 

The other type of juvenile case is a delinquency case. Delinquency cases are opened when a child is alleged to have committed an act that as an adult would constitute a crime. The process is roughly the same as in the adult criminal cases, but with an emphasis on getting the child help and reducing the chance for future delinquent acts rather than on punishment.

Please note that I use “child” and “parents”. These explanations also apply to multiple children and an individual parent. Each parent has all the rights, privileges and responsibilities listed below for the “parents”.

Recent Posts